Barry was born in Greenville, North Carolina and grew up in Bertie County. He attended the University of North Carolina on a Morehead Scholarship.
Barry graduated with honors from the UNC School of Law in 1992, and was admitted to the North Carolina Bar. After graduation, he served as law clerk to the Honorable Terrence W. Boyle, United States District Judge for the Eastern District of North Carolina. In 1993, he began his practice, handling general liability and medical malpractice matters.
Today, Barry’s practice is focused on the representation of healthcare providers and on assisting insurance companies and similar entities with coverage issues. He has represented family practice physicians, surgeons, OB/GYN physicians, anesthesiologists, orthopedists, hospitalists, emergency medicine physicians, pathologists, oncologists, podiatrists, physician’s assistants, nurse practitioners, podiatrists, chiropractors, hospitals, nursing homes, and physician practices in a wide variety of malpractice and other litigation matters. He has represented clients and tried cases in state and federal courts throughout North Carolina, and handled multiple appeals before state and federal appellate courts.
Barry has also provided risk management consulting services for physician, hospital and nursing home clients, advising on policies and procedures, investigation and communication after adverse events.
Assisting healthcare providers in matters before their licensing boards is also a significant portion of Barry’s practice, and he has appeared before North Carolina’s Medical Board, Dental Board, Pharmacy Board, Psychology Board, Physical Therapy Board, Podiatry Board and Board of Nursing representing the interests of his clients.
Barry is a certified mediator.
Awards & Recognition
- AV Preeminent rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® since 2012
- Leaders in the Law, North Carolina Lawyers’ Weekly(2012)
- Listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers since 2008
- Listed in North Carolina Legal Elite, Business North Carolina magazine (2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012)
- Past President – American Board of Trial Advocates – Eastern North Carolina Chapter
- Past Chair of the North Carolina Bar Association Litigation Section
- Past Member, Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association Litigation Section
- Past Co-Chair – North Carolina Bar Association Litigation Section Ethics Committee
- Two-time member (once as Chair) of Magistrate Judge Selection Committee for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Past President, Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church, Inc.
- Chair, Giving Ministry Team
- Costa Rica Mission Team
- Past Chair, Personnel Committee
- Past Chair, Nominating Committee
- Past Board Member – Presbyterian Men’s Association
- Past Church School Class Discussion Leader
- Parents’ Council – UNC Wilmington
“Mediation – A Look into the Other Room” – Southeastern Chapter, American Board of Trial Advocates, March 2022.
“How Defense Attorneys and Insurers Evaluate Cases,” Help Me Help You A View from Insurance Adjusters and Defense Counsel, North Carolina Advocates for Justice, November 12, 2021.
“Negotiation and Advocacy at Mediation: A View from the Mediator’s Chair.” North Carolina North Carolina Chapter of the American Society of Hospital Risk Managers, Spring Conference, April 2019
“Civility Matters,” Panel Discussion by ABOTA Members to Duke University Law School Class of 2021, August 2018.
“Medical Malpractice: Recent Topics of Interest in the MedMal Arena,” North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Winter Workshop, February 2018.
“Since We’re Not Ventriloquists … Preparing Employees of your Organization for Depositions,” North Carolina Chapter of American Society of Hospital Risk Managers, Fall Conference, November 2012.
“Chair’s Comments – The Press of Time,” The Litigator, Newsletter of the Litigation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association – June 2012.
“The Chair’s Comments,” The Litigator, Newsletter of the Litigation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association – January 2012.
“Panel Discussion – Civility in the Courtroom” – Joint Session of the North Carolina Bar Association and the North Carolina Conference of Superior Court Judges, North Carolina Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2011, Asheville, NC.
“Reporting Requirements to External Agencies- Release of Information,” North Carolina Chapter of American Society of Hospital Risk Managers, Fall Conference, May 2010.
“Now What? Managing Incidents to Avoid Lawsuits,” Liberty Long Term Care Management Services Administrators’ Conference, March 2010.
“Legislative Updates,” North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Fall Seminar, Medical Malpractice Practice Group, September 2009.
“Transforming ACH: Disaster-Preparedness Against Litigation,” North Carolina Association of Long Term Care Facilities Convention and Trade Show, September 2009.
“Legal Issues for the Nurse Practitioner,” Duke University School of Nursing, February 2007.
“Perils and Pitfalls of Apparent Agency (and other topics from Diggs v. Novant Health),” North Carolina Chapter of American Society of Hospital Risk Managers, Fall Conference, October 2006.
“Legal Issues for Labor and Delivery Nurses,” Rex Hospital, Labor and Delivery, Raleigh, NC, June 2003.
“Legal Issues for the Nurse Practitioner” West Central Nurse Practitioner Council, March 2003.
“Effective Presentation at the General Session” in Advanced Negotiation and Advocacy in Mediation. North Carolina Bar Foundation Continuing Legal Education, September 2000.
“North Carolina Nursing Home Negligence,” Professional Education Systems, Inc. November 1999.
“Effective Legal Writing for the Paralegal in North Carolina,” Institute for Paralegal Education, October 1998.
"The Company's Rights Under the Insurance Policy," Seminar at the North Carolina Adjusters Association Convention, January 1997.
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- American Society of Heathcare Risk Management, North Carolina Chapter
- Wake County Bar Association